My family and I recently returned from a short spring break vacation to Grand Canyon National Park. I love getting outta Dodge for a change of pace. I feel re-inspired, invigorated and excited for new things to come. While I love coming back home, trying to find something to feed my family before a trip to the grocery story is tricky! However, I love the challenge of using what I have to make something tasty. I love digging into the depths of my cupboards and fridge, and often create something new and exciting!
Today, I was scrounging for lunch. I found leftover Mexican black beans (they were still good)…sweet, taco salad – one of my all-time favs! But no greens☹. I kept digging through my almost empty fridge and found one kale leaf, green peppers, radishes, shredded carrots and some hatch green chili. Perfect! I chopped up all the veggies and mixed them with the green chili, warmed up my beans, added some chips and dug in.
I actually really liked the addition of all the crunchy veg. Usually I stick to the same ol’ greens, beans and salsa with chips. This was so much more flavorful, crunch-tastic and interesting. My taco salads will forever be changed!
Here’s my Top 5 Tips For Making “Something Outta Nothing!”
1. Check out the leftover situation to see if there’s anything you can build on. Meat, beans, salads, rice, quinoa, etc.
2. Look for fresh produce. If there isn’t anything, look for frozen fruits and veg. Canned fruits and veggies just aren’t as fresh and nourishing as fresh or frozen.
3. Got any cans of beans? You can always make something with some beans. For example, soup, salads, smashed up dip or sandwich spread, etc.
4. Would a sauce or dip really make or break your creation? Look for vinegars, salsas, mustards, citrus, fresh herbs, dried herbs, greek yogurt or sour cream, etc.
5. Is your creation warm or cold, in a bowl, on a plate, in a wrap, on top of bread, etc.? Sometimes it helps to figure this out first.
I’m a true believer that you can always make something out of nothing, and it might even be better than something you specifically shopped for!